NAU MAI, HAERE MAI - WELCOME TO AWAKERI SCHOOL!
Awakeri School is located 13 km west of Whakatane and caters for students from Years 1 to 8.
The roll has continued to grow and is currently 340. An enrolment scheme has been in place since 1996, which enables the Board to manage school growth.
The school motto, ‘Be the best you can be’, is evident throughout the classrooms and playground, and underpins relationships across the school.
Our vision is for Awakeri School to be a place where the importance of lifelong learning is reflected and developed and all students become active and innovative learners and thinkers, with the ability to solve problems creatively.
We aim to provide an inclusive and supportive learning environment where all children have the opportunity to be the best they can be. Learning and behaviour are integrated with our core values:
Awakeri is a place of springs. The word ‘Awakeri’ itself means a ‘channel’, where water can flow.
With this in mind:
· The values and learning at Awakeri School should become a ‘spring’ within each learner, resulting in confidence, self-efficacy and resilience – a belief that they can succeed and deal with whatever life brings them.
· With this spring they can overflow, channel the water, and serve the community and the world; the spring becomes a source for others.
· A spring implies depth, getting beyond the surface. Depth in learning comes through meaningful, relevant learning in authentic contexts.
Awakeri is also a place of orchards. With this in mind,
· Our school will also seek to provide the optimum conditions for achievement and wellbeing.
· Growth is important – at an individual and schoolwide level. Effective planning is necessary to achieve this.
· Orchards need to be pruned – this applies to effective use of school resources, and also to the way we cultivate our school values.
· The proof is in the fruit. Awakeri School students, past, present and future, will be known for their high level of achievement, and always acting with confidence, kindness, respect, independence and resilience – being the best they can be in all aspects of life.
"The school motto, ‘Be the best you can be’, is evident throughout the classrooms and playground, and underpins relationships across the school."
9.00 School starts
11.00 Morning interval starts
11.20 Morning interval ends
12.50 Lunch starts 1.45 Lunch ends
1.45 Lunch starts 1.45 Lunch ends
2.55 School Ends. 3.15 pm Final Buses leave.
School does not finish early on wet days
Non-urgent phone calls to teachers should be made before school, during intervals or lunch and after school. Messages can be taken in the the office.
If cell phones are brought to school by children, they are left in the office until the end of the day. They should only be brought to school if required for arrangements after school (not for music/games while waiting to be picked up).
The school accepts supervision responsibility for children from 8am to 3.30 pm.